Thursday, December 15, 2011

An Introduction

When I was little, I used to dream up the journeys that life would take me on. As a child in love with fantasy and science fiction, I may have had some exaggerated ideas. The adventures I imagined spanned the very stars in the heavens, the depths of the ocean, and worlds with magic and dangerous fights. Yet, couched among the fantastical illusions, was the simply belief that I would grow up, serve a mission for my church, get married, have a family, and die. Then there would be all the other journeys in the after life and so on.

The future was a mythical, mystical, fantastical realm to be filled with as big of an imagination as I could muster. Reality, however, has been quite different. It has been one involving the ongoing theme of waking up. Of discovering small measurements of courage and accepting just who I am as a person. It has also involved the burying of childhood dreams and beliefs, of saying goodbye to loved ones, and of saying goodbye to false friends and true friends. It has also been one of unparalleled self-discovery for myself, of gaining friends that I feel I have known forever, of risking so much and realizing I was risking little in comparison to what I have gained.

Life. It's a roller coaster. It's a journey. It's basically whatever it wants to be. Hell. Heaven. Neutral. Life just is.

I closed my other blog down because I felt it was time to bring to a close that journey. Today marks the beginning of a new one. And what will be in this blog? I want to write about politics, religion, guys, life, and ideas. I want this blog to be an echo chamber for whatever surfaces in my mind. I do not promise it will be anything fantastical, mystical, mythical, or phenomenal. I merely promise that it will be heartfelt, honest, and at least worth-taking for me.

I chose the name "The Prometheus Path" because of what I remembered of the legend. Prometheus was among the few Titans who served the younger, more familiar gods of the Greeks, after the great war between these two families of gods. Prometheus ultimately created humanity out of clay in the image of the Greek gods. Zeus punished humanity by denying them fire but Prometheus took pity and stole fire from Vulcan's forge to give to the humans. Prometheus was punished for this by being chained to a mountain where an eagle would eat his liver during the day. At night, his liver would heal and in the morning the eagle would return to repeat its gruesome task. Prometheus was saved from this fate a long time later when the hero Heracles freed him from his prison. Prometheus is the hero of humanity. He chose to side with the mortal world over the divine even to the point of forfeiting everything he knew and loved.

I want to discovery who I am at last. So I want to begin this journey of casting out of the gods of my childhood and go in search of what lies within me. I want to walk past the demons that haunt my fears and wreak havoc on my doubts and leave behind the vacuous realm of empty theology. Who am I in this world that seems so ready to tear itself apart? Where will I fit in?

That's what I seek and what I want to record here.

1 comment:

  1. You have a gift with words and imagery. I loved, especially your last paragraph.

    " I want to begin this journey of casting out of the gods of my childhood and go in search of what lies within me. I want to walk past the demons that haunt my fears and wreak havoc on my doubts and leave behind the vacuous realm of empty theology. Who am I in this world that seems so ready to tear itself apart?"

    I feel like I could write blog posts and blog posts on just the idea of "casting out the gods of my childhood". Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete